What makes you smile? Laugh? Go giddy with glee? For some, it’s a walk barefoot through the grass. For another, it’s a spin on a roller coaster, a movie date, or a perfectly ripe mango.
So… when was the last time you did something that makes you happy?
If it’s been awhile, consider this: happiness lowers stress levels, increases immune system function, and lowers your risk of disease. It also makes life easier.
The Magic Formula for Daily Pleasure
Doing one pleasurable thing per day (or more!) is the most powerful antidote for gray, boring, or stressful days. Try this:
- Make an “I love” list. List everything that you enjoy – nothing is too small or too large. If you enjoy it, get it on the list.
- Take a look at how you spend your days. When could you fit in a little pleasure? Perhaps you could leave the office at lunch to walk in the park? Maybe you could play your favorite music while doing the dishes? Book yourself a massage this week?
- Repeat daily, or more often, as needed.
To get you started down the road of pleasure, give this luscious recipe a try:
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large ripe banana
- Process the first three ingredients in a blender.
- Blend for one minute, or until pureed.
- Pour puree into a medium bowl.
- Whir the banana in a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy.
- Fold banana into mango puree, using a knife to swirl in a marbled effect.